Stretch marks, otherwise known as striae, is a form of scarring on the skin. Stretch marks can look purple, red, or silver. Stretch marks most often occur on the lower portion of the stomach, thighs, around the arm area, and hips.
While stretch marks are more common in pregnancy, some time in your lifetime, stretch marks can still develop. However, some individuals are more prone to getting stretch marks compared to others. If your mom, dad, siblings, and other relatives have them, then you are more likely to get them as well.
Fortunately, nowadays, there are several methods that can help reduce the risk of developing stretch marks. In addition, there are also several ways to manage stretch marks (cara menghilangkan stretch mark) accordingly if you already have them.
- One of the most beneficial things you can do to avoid stretch marks (cara menghilangkan stretch mark), whether you are pregnant or not, is to manage your weight properly. Stretch marks can occur when you experience drastic weight gains and losses. Also, when rapid weight loss occurs, the possibility of stretch marks developing is also very likely.
In addition, during growth spurts (i.e. puberty), some people can also develop stretch marks. Others on the other hand like bodybuilders get stretch marks from working out or after great gains.
In line with this, it is considered a good idea to monitor any body changes especially if they occur too quickly. If you would like to manage your weight accordingly, eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly is recommended. If you experience drastic weight gain or weight loss, seeing your doctor is advisable so you can find out why.
- Another way to keep stretch marks at bay and keep your skin smooth and hydrated is watching your water intake. To help ensure skin is looked after accordingly, monitoring your water intake and making sure you take in the recommended dose is advisable. According to the Institute of Medicine, the ideal water intake is 104 ounces for men and 72 ounces for women.
This might not be common knowledge but drinking caffeinated drinks such as coffee can also increase your risk of developing stretch marks. That being said, it is recommended that you opt for teas and other caffeine-free alternatives instead.
- Another way to keep the skin healthy and stretch mark free is to eat nutrient rich foods that’s great for the skin. For starters, make sure your diet includes foods that are high in vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin E, zinc, and protein.
- To improve the skin’s health, consider it best to also include foods rich in vitamin C in your diet. Taking vitamin C supplements can also help ensure your skin stays healthy and elastic. Not only that, vitamin C can also help reduce the appearance of wrinkles as well as stretch marks.
More importantly, vitamin C is also a significant nutrient that can aid in collagen growth. Fortunately, you can easily get your dose of vitamin C from many fruits and vegetables. Citrus fruits like lemons and oranges are particularly good sources of vitamin C.
- One research found a correlation between low vitamin D levels and stretch mark incidence. While further research is needed, results suggest that maintaining good vitamin D levels can significantly reduce stretch mark risk.
Exposure to the sun is the easiest way to get vitamin D. However, bread, rice, and dairy products such as milk or yogurt are also good sources.
- Eating zinc-rich foods can also help you achieve a supple and younger-looking skin. Foods rich in zinc can also help reduce inflammation and aid in fast wound healing. Zinc-rich foods you can include in your diet include fish and nuts.
- Treat new stretch marks as they appear. If you are unable to completely prevent stretch marks on your skin, it is recommended that you treat them the earliest possible time so they won’t be as visible in the long run.
In line with this, visit your dermatologist right away as soon as you notice fresh stretch marks in your skin. Your doctor will not only be able to help you determine its likely causes, he’ll also be able to recommend the best treatment options available so they don’t worsen.